What is a Virtual Private Network Software?
More internet users realize that a VPN privacy is the best tool to protect their internet identity. One of the main concerns is them not being enough tech savvy and their online data being readily available by the web hackers. Therefore, a VPN solution is the best way to protect your online activities and keep your data anonymous. All of the best providers offer simple software that allows easy to log in, connect and start surfing the internet without worries.
The Best Software for All Devices
Unfortunately, not all of the VPN clients have built straightforward and easy to use software. Some of the service clients offer old and consumer unfriendly tools that can also be a bit sluggish. Therefore, TenBestVPNs have selected the best VPN services for Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS and Android devices which will make your life a lot easier and most importantly more secure.
All VPN providers offer similar features that serve the purpose to protect yourself on the web. Also, it allows unblocking websites and content that have been geo-restricted. However, there are also other interesting features that some of the best VPN companies offer. Here’s a compiled list of what you could be getting when subscribing to a VPN:
- Switching of Tunnel Protocols – most of the providers support multiple protocols. It includes most popular ones as OpenVPN, PPTP, L2TP. Some of the best clients allow switching between protocols. Although this isn’t something that is very useful in most countries, in places like China it can be the best thing to have. In China the most secure protocol isn’t OpenVPN, it can even be blocked by “Great Firewall.” Therefore, you can try and switch to IKEv2, and it could provide you better protection and faster connection speed than the rest of the protocols.
- Forwarding of Ports – this feature allows you to secure connection through a firewall that typically blocks certain ports. If you ever find it convenient, then the best settings for it is OpenVPN TCP port 442, as it’s ideal for a regular internet traffic.
- Kill Switch – this feature is great because it automatically blocks internet traffic in case the VPN server software gets disconnected. This feature allows you to be 100 percent safe when using programs like P2P BitTorrent for downloading multimedia online.
- DNS Leak Protection – DNS is a Domain Name System, and it is used to translate domain names like TenBestVPNs.com into an IP address, which your device will understand as 22.214.171.124. Normally this is done by your internet service provider, but using a Virtual Private Network, it’s done by its DNS servers. With this feature, it can protect your data from a leak.
- Auto Login and Connect – some of the providers offer features that allow you to establish connection automatically whenever you log in. This assures you that you do not forget to connect and keep browsing the internet insecurely.
- Server Stats – when you are connecting to a VPN server, it can be interesting to know how busy is the server you plan to use and what is the signal latency. Most of the VPN providers show this information on their websites, but there are also some providers that display this information directly on their software.
VPN Windows Software
All the best Virtual Private Network brands offer software for Microsoft Windows operating system. When you use software on Windows, it replaces your registered IP address with a new one. This lets your computer to appear in another location than you actually are. Using a VPN Windows software you can protect your internet identity. Also, access blocked websites, videos, and other content. Some of the typically blocked sites include Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, Pandora Radio and others.
You can use Virtual Private Network on following brand PC and laptop: Asus, HP, Acer, Dell, Samsung, Lenovo, Microsoft Surface and many other Windows computers.
VPN Mac Software
When you use a Virtual Private Network, it builds a safe tunnel from your device to any website or mobile application that you open. Using a VPN for Mac, the software encrypts your data and allow you to access any content you wish to open. All you have to do is to select a location, click to connect to a server, and you are ready.
You can use Virtual Private Network for Mac on following devices: MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, iMac, iMac Retina 5K, Mac Pro and Mac mini.
iPhone VPN App
VPN creates a secure connection between your iPhone and any website or content that you try to access. It encrypts your internet traffic and works as an IP hider to keep your internet activities private and allow to access any website you like.
You can use a free VPN for iPhone software on following smartphones: iPhone 4, iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus.
VPN Android App
A VPN uses a tunnel to establish a secure connection between your smartphone or tablet app and protect your internet data as well as allowing you to access any geo-restricted content.
A free VPN for Android app is available on following devices: Samsung Galaxy Alpha, S6 Edge, Note 4, HTC One Mini 2, M9, Sony Xperia Z3, Compact, Google Nexus 4, 5, 6, Samsung Galaxy Tab S, Note Pro, Sony Experia Z2 Tablet, Google Nexus 7, 9, 10 and any other Android device.
VPN for Router
If you use a VPN router, you can install software directly on the wireless router. In this way, you can protect all of your devices connected to the home WiFi without getting a software or an app on each device separately.
Some of the best reasons to get a VPN Router software include:
- Saves Your Time. Lets you to install it only on your router and protect all of your devices instead of installing it separately.
- Offers Better Security. It is always on and connected, so you don’t have to worry about forgetting to connect to a VPN network.
- Protects All Wifi Enabled Devices. It includes PlayStation, Xbox, and other gaming consoles.
- Allows connecting an unlimited number of devices simultaneously.
- Secures your guest devices using your internet network too.
Our Router Recommendations:
- NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900
- ASUS RT-N16
- Asus RT-AC66U
- Netgear AC1450
- Netgear WNDR3700
- Cisco Linksys E1200
- Linksys E4200
- Netgear WNDR4000
To find out more about the VPN routers mentioned earlier, you can check out our article about Best VPN routers.
VPN Providers with the Best Software
The TenBestVPNs team has tested and used over a hundred of VPNs and have compiled the list of providers with the best software for all devices. Our top VPNs includes brands like ExpressVPN, VyprVPN, IPVanish, StrongVPN, SaferVPN, and PureVPN.